Summer Raindrops

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Life in a capsule

Wah, I haven't really written anything here since last august. In fact previous few posts were just anyhow linked stuff that I thought might be interesting. Still it is interesting to suddenly received comments here and there on some of the long long ago articles I had blogged.

Anyway had been busy doing and feeling puzzled over my current job. In Singapore, this little piece of rock with reclaimed soil around the central core, yo do nothing but work and think about work, and think about if tomorrow there is work for you or not. Why is that so? Cause lifestyle in the "rich" citystate of Singapore is only about a constant blur and furries of worry about debts and whether can you pay for debt later on, and can you pay about even more debts when you have your children in the future. The system seems to lock the people into it, much like the matrix. You are forcefully "born" into this little capsule designed for you, and then have the surrounding painted and render to stimulate you to... work more and then produce the next offspring to do exactly the same. After some time, one will just forget about the life out there, and be locked into the great system of system.

Well cut long talk short. This is by far the most stragnest job that I had ever held. Everybody seems to be doing absolutely...... nothing. Nothing worthwhile at all. Really. Orders are push down from some emperors of cheif enunch wannabes, and it gets circulated around everybody, with each one attaching more comments and enquiries to it. Task are never solved, things are never really done. I can't imagine how such an organisation will really survive (luckily this is not a private company). Every morning I went to work, I had to drag myself there, unmotivated, and still puzzled over what I am suppose to be doing, even though it is almost 2 years. since I started my contract with this place. I drag myself down to my work place to do.... absolutely nothing worthwhile, everyday.

But to be fair, once a while, something interesting comes along, but so far, most jobs can easily solved be in 1 weeks time in this place. Where I used to do on average 3 projects in one day in my previous workplaces, this is practically quite a good place to rot (if one prefers such jobs) for a while to - recharged the batteries; feed the horses; sharpen the blade; drink some tea and eat some pao at the local teashop; talk some cock to the management so that they will sing some song to their management; before riding out again with the golden or blue horde to try to take some more land.

Besides getting to experience "interesting" work scope, I seen amazingly fantastic dinosaur kind of people that probably won't last a week in the fast pacing industry outside. Well for one, I really feel that my boss operates like a slightly defective router. He simply collects a whole load of crappy data from the higher management, or the server, and distributes it without any form of processing to the guys below him, including myself. Most of the time, information is distorted (either purposefully or not) and dateline is distorted as well (this timeline kind of data I guarantee, is distorted purposely.... bringing the dateline forward to create buffer zone for covering of backside, etc etc...). After interfacing to people like my this manager boss, I think people working here and seeking to climb will eventually reach a finte state of IQ and EQ whereby the signal curve damps off, must like the inverse of the exponential curve, always approaching 1, but never reaching it. Using this small analogy, I think my bosses may eventually hit one in his skills, only when the x axis (showing time) hits infinity.

Maybe I am being sensitive or panicky(I always feel that I am a kan cheong spider), but I feeeeel the slowness and sluggishness of of the working culture. A really high energy, siam-ing (avoiding), cc email to boss, kind of culture, where we take pride in being slow and yet never steady. Everyday at my office, I seen this particular "talent" from china drawing a incredible pay of 8k per month, doing pieces of work that requires 2 weeks for him, and 2 days for the typical freelancing polytechnic student.

.....
.....

Anyway, I wrote quite a huge load of rubbish here...., because simply I don't know what else to write at this moment, apart from work. I will post more of my personal stuff there and will shift all my technical, design, and project management stuff over to www.workingtribe.com, where as expected, it had also been "neglected" for some time. Time to revive it then, and put up all my artworks. We'll see how it goes.


Thanks thanks for reading my this very long winded article. :)
More to come .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home