Summer Raindrops

Sunday, September 04, 2005

I can cook : Fish Porridge


I can cook. Besides cooking instant noodles and cup noodles, and a failed attempt at frying an omlette, I had tried fried bee hoon, with the supervision of the chief cook, my mother. It was quite successful.

I was on MC on 1 September actually. As the evening comes, I went on to prepare my first solo dish, fish porridge.

Steps on preparing the fish porridge...

1) First the ingredients were prepared. Namely fish slices.
2) I filled 3/5 cup of rice and pour in into a pot of boiling water, about 3/4 of the cooking pot.
3) I cut 2 slices of ginger and threw them into the rice with water as they boil together.
4) As the solution starts to boil, I prepare the fish slices, cutting of the bones from the fish slices.
5) After a looong looong time, when the rice was cook and starts to turned soggy, I threw in the fish slices. Plus, a prawn (the temptation was there to throw in lots of other stuff apart from the fish.)
6) I sliced and threw in a takpok as well. Mistake! The taopok starts to break up and goes all over the porridge.
7) You have to keep stirring the mixture so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. I threw off water and replenish water as well.
8) As the mixture starts to become soggy (Like a fish porridge now). I switch off the fire and put in the fish sauce (heu lor). I stirred and taste and put some more till it tasted just now.
9) Next I dump in lots of pepper, plus some olive oil.
10) Tada! The fish porridge is ready! The porridge tasted really sweet (sweet as not in sugar, but as in the taste of fish) due to the extermely generous amount of fish slices that I had used in the fish porridge.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home